- I have been writing posts on Bass fishing. So I thought I would look into another type of fish for this post. I found Crappie fishing to be popular with the local folks. Let’s look into some Best Crappie fishing jigs.
Some Basic Information We’ll Need to Know
- Fishing in the right depth, right color, right speed means Crappie. We start out with a variety of colors and shapes of jigs
- Water color plays a part in determining the crappie feedings. Crappies go by seeing the food. If they do not see it, they will not eat it.
- They say fish see a variation of colors in waters and brightness of levels. This may be why fish no longer go after a color that was biting and no longer are. Now plain waters, we use clear jigs. Poorly lit or muddy waters, we use illuminated jigs with non lighted combo jigs.
- Now for casting, we use jig-n-bobber method This is where we fasten the jig anywhere 12in to 48in below the float. We are aiming for the jig to be a bit higher from the fish. We can also just drop the line to the depth, reeling it up slowly.Now let’s find the best crappie fishing jigs
The Marabou Jig
- There is the Marabou jig. It is a long known jig for crappie. The marabou jig is a jig that comes in all colors, shapes and sizes. Some have a buck tail and Cherill on it’s collar. Typically, 1/8 oz works good in the spring and summer. And 1/64 oz. works good in the winter. This sounds like the best crappie fishing jig already. This jig is versatile that fishes any heights, alone or a double rig, or bobber. The Marabou jig is cheap and to keep on hand. We find the chartreuse, yellow and white colors work well.
The Plastic Jig
- Here we have the ball or bullet head jig. It is just any jig with a plastic curly tail. There is a two tail minnow body that slides from the hook up to the head. These jigs can be changed on and off for a different look. The best working jig is called “Shad” and “Grub”. Here the colors white, chartreuse, yellow and white colors are good.
A Life Like Jig
- With this jig head it is placed inside of the plastic body. It has a life like look to it. Now this jig works good with slow crappie. I don’t know, this one is the best crappie fishing jig too. Also, with slow bites too. Use these jigs in any depth, singly, a double or bobber. We use 1 1/2 to 2 in size. Our color is white, yellow and chartreuse.
Other Styles Of Jigs
- Crappie bites with jigs. We have some inline spinners, size 1 or 2. These are good for ponds and lakes. Now we can go with a 1 1/2 blade bait or a lip less crank bait 1 inch. There’s crank bait’s, minnow style, Long and slender profile. No more than 2 inches for deeper waters and smaller bill for shallow water.
This Sums It Up
- The research on the best crappie fishing jigs didn’t offer as much as I thought I would find. These are the best ones I could find. It does show crappie fish are popular. I did learn more about crappie fish.
- How about you? Check out this instant crappie catching tricks E-kit.
- Feel free to leave a comment or questions or a experience. I will respond back.