- Some anglers say yo-yo reel fishing can be used as a means of survival. How the yo-yo reel works is we tie a line around a branch. We bait the hook and draw out the length of line and set the yo-yo reel in the notch. When the fish takes the bait and gets hooked, the reel retracts wearing down the fish, bringing the fish to the surface. Putting reflective tape on them makes it easier to find in the dark.
The Mechanical And The Auto Yo-Yo Reels
- The Mechanical Fisher yo-yo reel is made in the USA. It has a stainless steel spring which means it is never going to rust and you never have to oil it. It also has a galvanized steel case and a flat trigger. There is a much better trigger with less problems and is more sensitive.
- The Whites Auto-Fisher has a bit of a different trigger. It does not have a stainless steel spring. It comes with a tempered steel spring. Also, it comes with a tempered steel spring which is a strong spring like the kind found clocks. The spring is long-lasting. There is helpful to oil the spring when putting into storage. Now they can rust sooner with no maintenance.
- Both yo-yo fishing reels comes with 60 pound test nylon line. They are both made by the same manufacture out of Diamond City Arkansas. Both have two trigger setting, a deep notch and a shallow notch. The shallow notch is like a hair trigger. We can go shallow notch for smaller fish and deep notch for bigger fish. We are able to adjust the spring tension on both yo-yo fishing reels. This is yo-yo reel fishing.
Yo-Yo Reel Fishing Upgrade
- Here is to upgrade the yo-yo reel. We will need approximately a 6 inch or smaller spring and a 12 inch bungee cord. We can pick up these supplies at any hardware store.
- We attach the spring where the line goes to tie to the tree branch. Now we have our spring attached we crimp the end of the spring attached to the yo-yo so it does not slip off. We take the bungee cord and hook into the spring, on the opposite end, 3 to 4 rings and back out. Now we crimp the end of the bungee cord attached to the spring.
- The bungee cord allows us to tie onto the branch. We can hook it back into the spring. When the fish reaches the end of the line, the spring takes over the tension. When the spring relaxes, the line takes over…..
There Is A Bait Called Catfish Cheese
- There is a bait called catfish cheese. It stinks but it will reel in the catfish on yo-yo reel fishing. We just use a treble hook with a spring. The spring holds the cheese or punch bait or the dough.
- Some anglers say the catfish cheese works better than hot dogs or cut bait with yo-yo reel fishing. We find a limber branch that’s flexible and put the yo-yo reel about 6to 8 inches above the water.
Bank Yo-Yo Reel Fishing
- We can do bank yo-yo reel fishing. We simply have a long tie line. One that we can toss over a tall branch. We can just tie the line to a simple pine cone. Once it is over the branch, we tie the line to the hole in the yo-yo reel and cut off excess line. Then bait the yo-yo reel and adjust our line. Just toss the yo-yo reel out into the water and we are good.
- Another way to bank yo-yo reel fishing in the open is to rig a tripod with branches. We will need the wind to be at our back when setting up the tripod otherwise the wind will blow the line back to the shore.
- Now we want the middle stick to be longer to hang over the water. We set the two front legs at the edge of the bank or into the water. We can use a long tie line. After tying on the line, we take the rest of the to the middle of the tripod.The reason being if the initial tie line comes loose, it is tied securely onto the tripod We pull out the length of the line to go into the water and toss it into the water.
A Floating Yo-Yo Rig
- There is such a thing as a floating yo-yo rig. Here are the supplies needed; full length of 1 1/4 schedule 40 PVC pipes; 4 1 1/4 90 degree elbows; a 1 1/4 tee; 1 1 1/4 45 degree angles; 1 1 1/4 threaded adapter; 1 1 1/4 threaded end cap and an eyelet bolt.
- We cut three 2 foot PVC pipe sections for the bottom. Connect the four 90 degree elbows. The last side, cut two 1 foot PVC pipe sections connected by the tee in the middle. WE cut two 11 inch PVC pipes. We connect one 11 inch PVC pipes to the tee and the 45 degree PVC.Then one 11 inch PVC pipes from the 45 degree PVC.
- Now put on the 1 1/4 threaded adapter onto the 11 inch PVC pipes. Drill a hole in the middle of the threaded end cap and attach the eyelet bolt into the threaded end cap. Attach the threaded end cap onto the 1 1/4 threaded adapter. We glue all of these pieces together
- We place the yo-yo reel onto the eyelet bolt. And place the yo-yo fishing rig into the water.
Yo-Yo Reel Fishing Can Be Used In Many Ways
- You know we can use yo-yo reel fishing for ice fishing too! Here are some ways we can do yo-yo fishing. Here shows whether we have a boat to go yo-yo fishing or still go yo-yo fishing with no boat. What a way to go fishing with no fishing pole!
- May you find some useful techniques. Feel free to leave a comment or question or even an experience. I will respond back.
- Check out this great e-book on crappie tricks