- We will need to check out our state regulation on jug fishing rigs. ( it may be called jug lines ) Here in Oklahoma we can have no more than five hooks per line and twenty jug lines per person. A legal jug line is vertical line suspended from a non-metallic or non-glass floating device, drifting free or anchored and has the owners name and address attached and has been attended at least once every twenty-four hours to the jug fishing rigs.
Here Are The Supplies We Need For Jug Fishing Rigs
- We will need 1/2 inch PVC thin wall, not the schedule 40 PVC, water noodle (1/2 inch diameter), 1/2 inch PVC caps, small eye hooks PVC glue, 5/8 re barb, size four circle hooks, 3/6 slip sinkers, #3 swivels, fifty pound omniflex fishing line and reflective tape (optional). These are the supplies we are going to need to make the jug fishing rigs.
Let’s Dive Right Into It
- We cut the 1/2 inch PVC pipe to twenty-four inches long. The noodles can be anywhere from thirteen to fifteen inches long. We can measure the length and dividing it by three or four and getting the most pieces out of one noodle. The diameters of the noodles are different sizes. If we have one larger than 1/2 inches, we can silicone the noodle to the PVC pipe.
- Now slides the noodle onto the 1/2 inch PVC pipe. Take one end of the PVC pipe and put some PVC cement onto the pipe. Now put one of the end caps onto the PVC pipe. Cut the 5/8 inch re barb between two 1/2 and three inches long. Place the re barb into the open end of the PVC pipe. Now we get an end piece and drill a pilot hole into it. Slightly smaller than the small eye hook. We do this so the small eye hook is water tight
- Glue the end cap onto the pipe and put glue on the small eye hook too. We screw the small eye hook into the end cap up to the end of the threads. Put the # three swivel onto the eye hook. Tie the eye circle hook with a Snell knot onto the fifty pound omniflex fishing line. Measure six to eight feet of fishing line and cut it Now slides the 3/16 slip sinker onto the fishing line onto the swivel.
- We can if we want to put a stopper below for the slide sinker above the hook to keep the slide sinker off the bait. Then just roll the fishing line around the noodle to transport them. Now the reflective tape is optional. If it is used, we put it on the opposite end cap where the fishing line is attached. And now we have a jug fishing rigs.
This Is A Different Style
- Here is a different style of Jug fishing rigs. This jug has a fifty feet of fishing line on it. We can fish this jug at ten feet, twenty feet, thirty feet, 40 feet, or fifty feet. We are able to adjust the depth of the fishing line. The jug has four circle hooks on it. It’s a lot harder to get off a circle than it is a J hook.
- This angler went from a green to orange noodle because he can see the orange noodle farther than the green noodle. The hardest task of jug fishing is finding your jug. This angler uses a trout line clip at the end of the fishing line to attach the fishing line to the weight.
Go With 125 LB Nylon Braid Fishing Line
- Goes with braided nylon. We use a roll of 250 feet 125 lb green nylon braid. We need the leader line seventy-two test that goes through the eye hole of the hook and to be thin enough to go with the twisted braid.
- Pick up barrel swivels size five. For the weight we can use a red solo cup filled with cement with a wire to attach to the main line. The weight comes to two pounds. When putting in wire, put a slight hook into the wire inside the cement. It helps so the wire does not pull out of the cement. We can find the wire at any hardware store.
- We will need 3/8 inch inside diameter PVC or the tubing you hook up a water line to your refrigerator. Cut the tubing 31/4 inch long. One tube for each hook. Drill a hole as small as the main fishing line. We want to tie two knots approximately eight inches apart. And the reason being, we will be able to change the leader line.
- What’s nice about having the trout clip on the end of the fishing line is where we will be able to clip it on to any weight. Now for this jug fishing rig, we can grab the main fishing line and make a half hitch knot on the bottom of the jug, which has a tee-joint, and make the line any depth we want and it will not slide off the bottom of the jug.
We Use One Inch PVC
- We use one inch PVC. One piece is ten foot, 120 inches long and we can get six sticks at twenty inches long. Also, we use one inch caps and one inch tee joints. A noodle that is fifty-four inches, we divide that into four to have four pieces of noodles. We use one inch large hole noodles
- The first things that are going to tear up are the foam noodles. Now there is enough room to cut off the end cap, slide on the new foam and glue on a new cap, which makes it shorter. Unless, foam can be pulled over it with a tight fit.
- To build these onces we cut out one inch pipe, slide on the cut noodle and glue on the end one inch cap and the one inch tee-joint. Now drill one hole the size of the main fishing line just above the tee-joint.
- We take the 125 lb nylon braided line and burn the end of it. Real quick, pull off the excess on the heated line without burning ourselves, making the end pointed. Slide the line into the hole we drilled,looking for the line to come out at the tee-joint. Once, we pull it through the tee-joint we tie a knot at the end of the line. Now tie two more knots on top of each other. To cinch the knots we use pliers at the end of the main line till it tightens. Burn the end of the main line like we did before pulling off the excess without burning ourselves one more time.
- Cut fifty feet of the 125 lb nylon braided line and wind the main fishing line around the top of the noodle. Each wrap is approximately twelve inches. After wrapping the main fishing line, we burn the end of it. Once again, pull the excess on the heated line thinning it out This is so it will fit through the materials.
Rigging The Leader Lines
- We are going to rig up four hook leader lines. After we have out four tubes cut at three 1/4 inch, four twisted braided leader lines cut at eleven 1/2 inches long, five barrel swivels size five and four eye circle size six hooks.
- We will need to run the main fishing line through the tubing. To make it easier to thread the line through the tubing, we’ll use some three lb mono filament.Cut off a small piece and tie a slip knot and place onto the main fishing line and cut off excess fishing line.
- Line up the barrel swivel hole with the hole in the tubing. Take the mono filament line and feed it through the tubing and the barrel swivel and through to the other side of the tubing. Now guide the main fishing line through the tubing and the barrel swivel and pull through. The reason for the small hole in the tubing is so it’s tight and will not slip through a single knot. We repeat the process with the other three. ( you can put more on according to your state regulation if you choose too.). Once, we have all four on the main line, now cut off the mono filament line.
- Burn the end of the main fishing line. Place the remaining barrel swivel on the end of the line. We now place out fourth tubing the distance we want it to be from the end of main fishing line where out weight is going to be.
- Tie a single knot at the place of the tubing, tie a loose single knot. Use a screw driver to push the barrel swivel through the tubing. Pull it out a bit and at the top of the tubing is where we want the top single knot to be. We work it to that spot.
Don’t Put The Hook’s To Close Together
- We do not want the hook’s to be to close together. Think about the struggle and mess with two fish together. Arm length apart will be good, that maybe six foot apart. WE repeat the process three more times
- Burn the ends of the leader lines. Fold the leader in half and tie a knot as close as we can get at the end of the leader line. Run the leader line through the front of the eye of the hook and slip the leader line now through the other end of the leader line. Now feed the leader line through the barrel swivel and the hook through the leader line. We want to make sure the knot is small enough to slide through the tubing. We now repeat the process three more times.
- Let’s clip the trout clip to the barrel swivel at the end of the main fishing line. And clip the trout clip onto the weight. Wrap the main fishing line around the foam, clip the hooks to the top of the foam and keep wrapping to end.
There We Have Two Great Idea’s For Jug Fishing Rigs
- The first jug claims it can be made for $2.00 per jug. The ladder claims it costs $6.00 per jug. These jugs are popular for cat fishing. People find these noodles cool and neat. There is great success rate using them. May this article to be interesting as well as informative
- Check out this making fishing lures
Feel free to leave a comment or question, or an experience. I will respond back.